Castle Beach is a short walk from St Michaels Hotel. Secluded, safe and super for snorkelling, here's our top ten facts about this popular Falmouth beach...
1. This gorgeous little site is the most northerly of the Falmouth beaches, sitting below the imposing Pendennis Point.
2. Castle Beach is an ideal spot for rock pooling, diving and snorkeling.
3. From here, you can gaze across to the Helford Passage and further afield to the Lizard Peninsula.
4. Pendennis Castle is a 16th century castle built by Henry VIII to defend the country against invasion.
The granite stronghold is perched on its headland and sits opposite its sister castle in St Mawes, making a powerful defence for the entrance to Falmouth harbour.
5. There is no beach carpark, but there’s plenty of road parking nearby and a carpark along Pendennis Point. Or if you’re staying with us, it’s just a 10 minute walk.
6. At high tide, the whole beach can be covered underwater, so be sure to time it right. Low tide will promise exposed rock pools to explore.
7. Stroll over to Castle Beach Café for pasties, paninis and ice-creams then kick back as you bask on their sun-deck.
8. Deck chairs can be hired so you can spend the afternoon relaxing with a good book.
9. Head away from the point end of the beach where rock pools merge into golden sand.
10. It’s a popular spot for locals and safe for children. Like Gyllyngvase beach, the dog ban is lifted at October so pooches can roam free on the beach until Easter.
"My husband and I are local and visit this hotel for a staycation most years. We always have a lovely time and feel welcome by the lovely staff. The development has made it even better with fantastic new spa facilities."
"The room was magnificent, fresh and clean, with all the modern facilities that you may want. The coffee machine was very loved with the cookies and fresh milk provided to go along with a cuppa."
"I had a large room overlooking the sea and it was tastefully decorated. The food was gorgeous and plentiful. The waiting staff were very attentive and helpful. It was in a perfect setting."
"There's a reason why I choose to stay here year after year. I visit Cornwall once a year and this place will always be my hotel of choice. The food is AMAZING, staff are always helpful and welcoming."
"The service was impeccable. The room had a balcony with a view of the sunrise over the sea. Beauty, comfort, rest. It's right next to a lovely beach and not far from the town centre. The Spa is second to none."
"I have just had the pleasure of going to the newly refurbished St Michaels Spa with a group of friends. I had the most amazing time. They have a really good thalassic, hydrotherapy pool. When you stepped into the water it was so warm and clear and felt like the most luxurious bath."